Introduction of the 57th Board

Manus Schlooz - Chairman

My name is Manus Schlooz, I am 21 years old and come from a Dutch city called Amersfoort. I am starting my 3rd year of Human Geography and Urban & Regional Planning, but I am also starting my board year as chairman of the 57th board of Ibn Battuta! Apart from all this I played a lot of volleyball, love to hang out with friends and visit plenty of festivals.

During my first year here I immediatly applied for the first year committee and loved the great variety of activities that Ibn Battuta offers. That is also why I became active as chairman of the Foreign Excursion Committee, with which we visited the Baltic States last year. Coming year all committee applications will open during varying times and a lot of activities will be organized once again.

I hope to see you soon!

Ibn_Battuta_4.jpg

Elisa Lanting - Vice Chairman

My name is Elisa Lanting, 23 years old and born and raised in Groningen. I have decided to hang around in the ‘High North’ as I am currently fourth year student Human Geography & Urban and Regional Planning at the University of Groningen.

In my free time I enjoy going to festivals and doing sports.  Within the beautiful board of Ibn Battuta I am the Vice Chairman of Ibn Battuta and you’ll often find me in Ibn Battuta’s own Coffee Room where I’ll be providing you with caffeine.

Coming year I will be the board member within the Wintersports committee and with this group we will work hard to organize again a legendary wintersport trip!

I wish you good luck in the coming study year and I hope to see you soon in the Coffee Room!

Ibn_Battuta_5.jpg

Tim Jansen - Secretary

I bet this is not the first piece of text you read coming from me! My name is Tim Jansen, 20 years old and come from bustling student city of Wageningen. At the moment I am a third year student social geography. Last year I helped organizing the Foreign Excursion and will be doing that again this year as I love travelling (who doesn’t). I also enjoy listening to music a lot and will be fan of a different music genre every month. I also make some myself and can be found with a saxophone in my hands form time to time. To fill the rest of my free time I enjoy gaming and of course the usual beers with friends.

This year I am the secretary of Ibn Battuta, so I hope I can brighten your days here in Groningen with my writings. Next to that I will be in the Foreign Excursion Committee, the Almanac Committee. I will also be in the Zwemfest Committee this year, so if you enjoy music like me, I hope to see you there!

See you soon!

Ibn_Battuta_7.jpg

Leia Vader - Treasurer

In line with the title I will also introduce myself. My name is Leia Vader and I am 20 years old.  I was born and raised in the picturesque village of Leusden but since September 2014 I’m calling Groningen my hometown. Currently I am in my third year of Spatial Planning and Design and coming year I will be responsible for the finances within the association. When I am not studying or managing the money of our beautiful association I can often be found at festivals or drinking wine and craft beers.   

Next year I will be the board member in the Lecture Committee and in the project group Ameland. This means I will be organizing your introduction camp! In the last two years I have been in the Almanac Committee and the Careerday Committee where I have had much fun and learned a lot about many different things.

May the force be with you this year!

Ibn_Battuta_9.jpg

Mathijs Mulder - Commissioner Internal Relations

Hello everyone, my name is Mathijs, I’m 23 years old and I’m originally from Emmeloord. This year will be my fifth year in Groningen and my fourth year at the bachelor Spatial Planning and Design. In my spare time I like to play football, watch series and play games (both digital and analog).

In my four years at Ibn Battuta I’ve been active in the First Year Committee, the Almanac Committee, the Pedelgenootschap, Ibn 0 and the Kiss & Cuddle Club. Being in a committee isn’t only fun but it is also a great experience and an opportunity to learn. This year I will be the Commissioner Internal Relations of the 57th board and I will take place in the First Year Committee, the Excursion Committee and the Projectgroup Ameland (Introduction Weekend) as board member.

I hope to see you all at one of our activities or in the Coffee room!

Ibn_Battuta_8.jpg

Henri Batterink - Commissioner External Relations

Last but not least: My name is Henri Batterink, 22 years old and fourth year Spatial Planning and Design student. Born and raised in Meppel (The little city above Zwolle).

I like to introduce myself within the board as Commissioner External Relations which means that I’m responsible for all external communication concerning companies and other external partners such as other associations. Thereby, I’m responsible for Ibn Battuta’ acquisition flow. Besides my study I like hanging out with friend and roomies, drinking craft beer and traveling around the world.

Coming year, I will be the board member in Projectgroup Inhousedays and the Careerday Committee. Together with them, we will organize interesting Career- and skill focused activities providing your work field orientation.

I hope to see you all participating in our events and good luck coming study year!

Ibn_Battuta_6.jpg